Thursday, May 19, 2011

Resistance. Module 5: Affective Learning Theory

The Case of the Resistant Faculty

Background:
"Technology Integration Instructor" that's the title I gave myself last year when my regular teaching duties ended and I picked up the task of traveling to the other campuses in our region and training instructors on the IWB technology. Incidentally the IWB technology was something that I had recommended at my campus and was given the go ahead and then the idea was so successful that it branched out to the whole company. My leadership, campus president who later became regional vice-president, was very instrumental in supporting me and asking the right questions about the technology. I developed a 3-phase training aimed on building familiarity and strengthening use of the IWB technology in the classroom.

Who resisted:
A group of massage and spa instructors. This group of teachers were usually pretty adept at using the IWB and adapting it to their needs. They were very enthusiastic and remembered much of the useful features from the previous trainings and their own explorations.

What technology:
Each time I come to do a training, I also try to being some other technology bonus or pedagogical advice. This time I brought them an idea I thought they'd be excited about and they were the first to hear about it: real-time text-to-poll service using student cell phones.

How it happened:


The Solution:
Gain attention


Enhance relevance


Build confidence


Generate Satisfaction

No comments:

Post a Comment