Thursday, January 17, 2013

Module 3 Blogroll

This module we considered assessing collaborative efforts. While it's great to say students are working in teams, it's another thing to evaluate their individual contributions. In ground-based courses the issue is equally difficult to make equitable, but the online environment offers other challenges and solutions to the problem of accounting for the work done.

I responded to:
Allison Hill
http://allisonsedtechviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/assessing-collaborative-efforts-in-this.html
Inquired about ways to help loaner-type students get more involved in the groupwork since it's part of their grade.

Sarita Ivey
http://iveylearninggarden.blogspot.com/2013/01/module-3-in-distance-education.html
I brought up the issue of how to teach students to grade/assess using rubrics in distance education rather than giving beauty contest  marks.

Reflection
Even though we are talking about distance education and assessing collaborative efforts, I think the issue is also present in modern day classrooms. We are all guilty of wanting and expecting to be recognized for our individual accomplishments. How do we get students used to looking at the group succeeding and then evaluating their role in that achievement? I do believe that peer and intra-group assessment is a wonderful way to give feedback to the individuals who contributed to the group. I also believe there has to be a rubric and practice evaluating groupwork, and for the students who do not participate in the group, they do not get the group grade but can still self-assess their efforts.

I personally love my current work-world team, I look forward to seeing them daily and interacting with them. Part of our group dynamic includes casual and friendly observances along with the work tasks. The integration of both the germane and the trivial seems to keep us coming back together again and again. But this is perhaps a topic for learner engagement.

Cheers - Shar

3 comments:

  1. Shar,
    I feel the same way that students do want to be recognized for their individual accomplishments. The other interesting thing that you posted is that you said you love your current work-world. I also love my work-world and find there are not many people that do. When I hear people talking about how they cannot wait to retire, I always think that must be sad to not like what you want to do every day. I glad you wrote that because now I finally know someone that is like me and enjoys what they do. ~ Lori ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori,

      We spent the majority of our waking time at work, I can't imagine going to place that I dread everyday. Sure there are hectic and stressful days, but on the whole, I enjoy being there. I love being an educator and I know my passion for what I do shows in my being there.

      I wonder how to get the passion to show in DE, for students who do not know us as people, how do we get the connections going between participants in the learning environment?

      Cheers - Shar

      Delete
  2. Shar,
    I agree with you and Lori both. I think of how I feel as a student and how I want to be graded, and I try to keep that in to consideration when grading my students.That is why I rely on the three fold method.

    ReplyDelete