Even simple email be an online collaboration tool, as users are asked to prepare a group report and send their parts to a leader who then compiles everything into a single document. This document is then emailed back to the team members for their feedback and the information incorporated into successive versions of the document. But with Google Docs, users can now edit the same single document without the confusion of multiple versions collecting in email inboxes. I have used this live editing feature with a friend in Spain to proofread and edit a document to be used in the classroom. Distance Education can take advantage of this technology for group members at a school with google apps integration in their online platform.
Distance education has the ability to definitely change the expectations for education everywhere. Siemens (2008) talks about the "more effective learning experience" created by distance education and I believe the collaborative interaction element has the enormous potential to really shape and transform the educational experience for the end user.
References
Pacansky-Brock, M. (2012). Online Learning in the Social Era: Human, Connected, and Inclusive - YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved December 26, 2012, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qh2HskDtpK8
Siemens, G (2008). "The Future of Distance Education" from Principles of Distance Education [DVD]. Baltimore, MD: Laureate Education, Inc.
Sharmaine Sharusan
PhD in Educational Technology
Pacific time zone, Washington state
Hi Shar,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about the convenience and power of Google Drive and other collaborative document creation tools. My colleagues and I regularly use Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/) because we find it easier to up-and-download Word documents without ans formatting hassles. have you use Dropbox? I am also a fan of using Voicethread with my university students. One thing I find with Voicethread, though, and I caution my students of, is simply using it to deliver an online lecture. It is meant to be a collaborative, visual communication tool, but often I see Voicethreads that are nothing more than the teacher delivering information via voice and perhaps one picture. I think that brings home the point that educators must change their entire vision of what online learning can and should look like. Tweaking what we already do offline will not change education online.
Hello Martha,
DeleteI love my dropbox. I've got it on all my devices but I primarily use it to sync my work documents and a quick way to share photos with my family. Interestingly enough I use SugarSync for my Walden work. I used to use Apple's iDisk but it got phased out in June 2012. The cool thing about SugarSync is that it uses the directory and file structure I already have, I tell it which directories/folders that I want to sync across my devices.
I do use VoiceThread for the lecture, drawing on the slides and explaining in my Algebra course. But I also include slides for the students to do practice problems and the understanding is to get credit for playing the videos the students have to leave comments on the slides that ask them questions. Then when we are in class, I can mention the comments they made or help clarify some misconceptions.
And yeah you've hit the nail on the head, it's up to the educator/instructor to envision how online formats can be collaborative and interactive and then set up opportunities. It doesn't happen without the setup and incentive for the student.
Cheer - Shar!
Hi Shar,
ReplyDeleteout of all of my experiences as an distance education student, I would have to say that Google Docs and Wikispaces have been the most helpful and successful when it comes to collaborative interactions with classmates. Especially when it comes to group projects and papers, in which everyone has to do their share as a team.
Hi Allison,
DeleteUsing Wikispaces with other Walden students has been a very pleasurable experience for me. We were able to offer each other advice and support on our individual projects and still create something that has a team feel to it.
I know I am very biased toward using wikis for student collaboration. I've just hit the 5 year mark being a Wikispaces user!
Cheers - Shar
I agree that in order to have collaboration in the classroom, their must be a connection between students. I personally use Blackboard Collaborate every day in a sychronized classroom. I have the students break into collaboration rooms on a daily basis. Within my classroom, we just started using Voicethread to try something different. The students love it so far. I find if the students trust each other and have a strong community, they will be themselves more and do better work. Do you find this to be true also?
ReplyDelete