Click the > to Hide dock. Add or move comments around. Go ahead, try it. Let's create together.
My main focus this quarter has been on the learner engagement in the online environment; I believe dynamic technologies allow the users to feel part of something greater than themselves and gives them the feedback to know that their actions matter. Sometimes we take risks with our thoughts and knowledge, but without these bold moves we stand still and merely remain as consumers rather than curators of knowledge.
Sharmaine Sharusan
Phd in Educational Technology
Pacific time zone, Washington state
Shar
ReplyDeleteI have not heard of Secondlife or Wallwisher and have not used Prezi yet. I am going to check those out. Have you used all the dynamic technologies that you listed?
Lori
Hi Lori,
DeleteSecondLife is the virtual reality simulation that is part game and also used for real time classroom settings with avatars. Folks can construct buildings, own property, generally interact with others with movements and what not. There are some professors who conduct class in SecondLife and I'm sure more than a few researchers studying the effects of virtual interactions. I've used it to look around and see the place, but nothing more than that.
Wallwisher is the tech tool that allows folks to live post-its on a virtual bulletin board. I am using it in this blog to create a communal concept map. I've taken off the restrictions to allow anyone to edit and move the clippings around.
And Prezi is just an amazing way to present a slideshow rather than linear like PowerPoint, it can have nested content and one can freely travel and explore the content. I always explain it to folks like showing off a new kitchen, no one goes through the kitchen in the same way though the hostess may have a path that she usually likes to follow when showing the features. Prezi is like that, a path when necessary but free to explore. Over the past year they've improved the engine to allow multiple users to put content on the canvas at the same time, so that there's collaborative brainstorming. I use it for presentations that I want to re-use to other staff as it has a nifty way of focusing on content one thing at a time.
So, Yes, I have used all the dynamic tech I listed.
Cheers - Shar
Hi Sharmaine,
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting concept map you have provided about static and dynamic technologies. How did you make it interactive? I am confused about where each technology fits according to content, communication or collaboration because it looks as if part of the concept map is missing. Thank you.
Sincerely,
LeAnn
Hi LeAnn,
DeleteThe concept map is using Wallwisher. The only drawback with embedding it in the blog is that the background resizes to fit the space displayed. So if your browsing window is too small or too large the tags don't seem to fit in a specific area.
I tried to imply that the static technologies fit into one category for sure, but the dynamic technologies cross the borders between categories. I also believe that communication leads to collaboration which leads to new content generation.
Cheers - Shar
Shar,
ReplyDeleteYour graphic organizer is very interesting. I have never seen that layout before. I'd like to add to your Prezi comments. It is a great tool for presenting information. However, sometimes people can go a little overboard with it! It can make me feel like I have whiplash if the transitions are too jerky!
I'll have to play around with Wallwisher.
Thanks,
Sarita
Shar, I'm you gave an explanation behind the concept map, because I could not view it. However, I think the more technology we use as educators, the easier it is to see how well it fits in with what we are doing. We also can tell the static and dynamic it has within the realm of education.
ReplyDelete