Sunday, February 10, 2013

Module 6: Video Presentation

Here is it, some opening and overview thoughts on Learner Engagement in Distance Education. Keeping in mind that this presentation is an introduction to the keynote speaker Eric Mazur, the video does not cover the entirety of topic of learner engagement. There are too many avenues to explore, each with their own merits. But I chose to pursue the path of the student involvement and ways to get students working with each other in the online environment.

Purpose

Our keynote address by Eric Mazur will talk specifically about why we should be getting learners involved with each other and the similarities and differences between the on-ground and online experience with this philosophy & technology of peer instruction.






Behind the Scenes

My biggest frustration with the video was trying to reduce the amount of content to fit into alloted time and trying not to overload the presentation with narrated slides. I used WeVideo service to handle the final video construction, I wanted to use a Web 2.0 technology to emulate how learners can get engaged with each other in teamwork activities online, like creating a video. I used a wiki to serve as a storyboard for my initial placeholder of the presentation.

Sharmaine Sharusan
PhD in Educational Technology
Pacific time zone, Washington state

11 comments:

  1. Hi Shar,
    I am excited to watch your video, but it is showing that the video is private. You need to go into your YouTube settings and make it "unlisted." I am also wondering at the bottom of the screen it shows the video is only 1:07. Let me know if you have any questions about the public, private and unlisted settings in your YouTube channel.
    Sincerely,
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LeAnn,

      Thanks for letting me know. I was testing out the feature and selected a placeholder I made thinking it would show. Well it showed for me, but I didn't realize it wouldn't show for others.

      The correct presentation should be showing now, but again it shows for me and I am hoping it will show for others. It's unlisted but not private.

      Thanks again - Shar

      Delete
  2. Hi Shar, I was able to view your video. I like your approach of interviewing online students to get their reactions. Some of your audio is cut off, however, especially your own narrative voice-over. Overall, I thought it was a successful piece. I too struggled with time issues, and my video ended up being too long. Then we had the blizzard, and I was not able to get into any classrooms to edit the video. It is just proof that in an online course, you never know what issues you will have with technology and deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shar,

    I enjoyed watching the video you created and I especially likes how you intereviewed online students. This made it very interesting. I think you were very successful in the editing of your presentation. I think if you had an introduction or title page before you started talking about the LMS the presentation would have been a little more effective. I am guessing that you might have had it and it got cut out during editing by mistake. Overall I liked it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori,

      I did have some lead in before presenting the LMS, but it ended up on the cutting room floor in order to save for time. I figured the folks attending the keynote are already somewhat familiar with the online education environment but I wanted to show the asynchronous variety in case there was any doubt.

      As for the title of the presentation, it was there in the editing mode but when the video got converted/posted to YouTube I lost my beginning title and captions. I ended up using YouTube's video tools to replace the missing text. I also sent in a helpticket to the folks at WeVideo so they'd know what was happening.

      Cheers - Shar

      Delete
  4. Hi Shar,

    I enjoyed our synchronous communication yesterday with Sarita discussing our videos. I especially liked all the interviews you included. As we mentioned in our Skype discussion, the five-minute period was a challenge, and I understand how you wanted to include more interview videos. I also liked how you incorporated your research into the video. As I watched your video again, I was wondering why you did not mention your keynote speaker in your video (or did I miss it), and only referenced Eric Mazur in the text above the video on your blog. In addition, what conference would you be introducing Eric Mazur? Thank you for sharing how easy you felt WeVideo.com was to use with all of your technology platforms and produced an excellent quality video. I will investigate this cloud-based tool for student work.

    Thank you again for being a part of my learning community in this class. Best wishes to you as you continue your scholarly doctoral work.

    Sincerely,
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LeAnn,

      Thank-you for inviting me to the conference call and I think knowing that it was folks I've been in class with for the past three months helped to alleviate my usual anxiety about meeting new folks.

      As for my keynote speaker, the end of the video had his name and university affiliation. The last interview also dealt with the issue of peer interaction, so my intention is that Dr. Mazur would begin talking right where the video ended and address the issue the student raised. I wanted to include some video of Dr. Mazur's talk on his subject but in the interest of sticking to the time limit, I had to leave it out and just process that information in my head. In hindsight, I would cut another student interview and include a brief CV on Dr. Mazur.

      The WeVideo has great potential, they also have a Google Drive and YouTube version of the technology.

      Cheers - Shar

      Delete
  5. Shar,

    I think you did an excellent job showing the different perspectives of individuals from multiple positions in the educational world. I liked the one instructor/student who stated that she hated group work. It would be interesting to know if she liked group work in a traditional setting. After our Skype conversation yesterday, I am eager to give WeVideo a try to future projects. It seems like a much more user friendly application.

    You said yesterday that you had to cut most of your footage out for your final presentation due to time restrictions. Do you think that the time limit diminished the overall quality of your video? I know I had to go back and redo my audio in some areas to talk faster so I could keep within the time limits.

    Thank you for being a part of our learning community! I hope to get the opportunity to work with you again in the future!

    Sarita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarita,

      Minutes are so precious. And the interviews were definitely longer, and more telling about the level of engagement those individuals have in their online environment. I think the time limit restriction made me be very selective, intentionally selective. And frankly if I was waiting to hear a keynote and had to watch a long video ahead of time, I would forget what I was there for (as often happens when I goto the movies).

      Cheers - Shar

      Delete
  6. Wow Shar this is very impressive,
    I especially liked how you incorporated interviews into your video to show the active opinions of others. This part of the video was very successful when you showed the view of the screen, that we see when learning online. I tried to find out how to do this and I am still confused. While watching your video, I wondered about volume control, some parts were harder for me to hear than others, but other than that it was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison,

      I need to invest in a mobile microphone. I recorded all the video from a tablet that I was holding in my hand, so my audio nice and loud and the responder... not as much. Next time I may just use the flip camera too, but the neat feature of using the tablet is that WeVideo has an app and I could uplaod and edit directly from the tablet.

      I recorded the screens of my friend at her desk while I narrated. I knew I would be short on time to present the research, so I did 6 separate little clips and told her what I wanted her to click on in advance.

      Cheers - Shar

      Delete